There is an old saying that has been used by various authors, poets, religious leaders over the years. The concept has been stated a number of ways, but the message is always the same. One popular version is worded like this:
“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
watch your words, they become actions;
watch your actions, they become habits;
watch your habits, they become character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
Another version says it like this:
Watch your thoughts. They become words. Watch your words. They become deeds. Watch your deeds. They become habits. Watch your habits. They become character. Character is everything.
What is the cornerstone of each of these messages? That’s right – your thoughts determine your reality.
My question to you is: What are you doing today to make sure your thoughts are shaping your the destiny that you want?
I believe in being intentional in everything – especially with thoughts. And while you may think that you are very clear with your thoughts about your sales success, I’d encourage you to continually evaluate this area as you grow and expand.
For instance, follow me in an experiment. If I told you, “Don’t think about a pink elephant” – what image comes to mind? Of course, you can’t help but think about a pink elephant. You’ll never conjure up an image of a high rise building when the message you’ve received is entirely counter to that. However, if I told you, “Think about a purple platypus instead” – you’ve now replaced the elephant with a new image.
The subconscious mind doesn’t work in negatives. It only receives the direct messages that you give it. So if you fixate on a fear of failure, what are you thinking about? Failure.
- Selling is hard.
- They’re going to reject me.
- I bet they don’t want what I’ve got.
- I’m afraid of the phone.
- Salespeople are seen as pushy.
Whereas, if you fixate on an image of success, that is the direction that your mind will take you.
- Selling is easy.
- We are going to get along well.
- They want what I’ve got.
- I am an expert at making calls.
- Salespeople are experts at forming relationships and meeting other people’s needs.
Your thoughts continue to shape your destiny either way.
I find that many people struggle with intentionally positive thinking. So if you want to change your thoughts, how do you go about doing it? Here are a few ways to start retraining your mind:
- Fear Release. This practice is an intentional, short, in depth exercise that is designed to focus within the subconscious mind and replace a limiting belief with a new one. Following it up with affirmations solidifies the replaced belief within your mind.
- Affirmations. What are you telling yourself? Affirmations are positive ideas that you intentionally put into your mind. Write them down, and read them several times a day – as often as you can.
- Reading. Readers are leaders and leaders are readers. What are you reading today that can launch you forward to the next step? Spending just ten minutes a day with some success books will begin to instill belief and growth in you. Read books like “The Magic of Thinking Big,” “Think and Grow Rich,” or “How To Win Friends and Influence People.”
Train your mind to work for you. Be intentional. Ultimately, it guides every step from your sales to your relationships, to your destiny. Choose wisely.